A K-car derived vehicle manufactured by Plymouth from 1989 to 1995, it is essentially the same as the Dodge Spirit, albeit with a less aggressive suspension. The Acclaim was designed to replace the aging Reliant, and updated the vehicle somewhat, yet retained the conservative styling typical of the k-car. The most common version of the car was equipped with a fairly reliable 2.5 liter four-cylinder engine, with a Mitsubishi-made six-cylinder and a turbocharger equipped 2.5 liter four-cylinder engine also available. Designed to be inexpensive, yet reliable, the Acclaim is relatively problem-free, except for transmission seal, problems which plague the six-cylinder version.

The car can comfortably seat 5 people, though it can seat six in a pinch, and has plenty of both leg and headroom. Top speed on the car with the four-cylinder version is over 100 miles per hour, though it is sensible to keep this car under 90; if you go any faster, the temperature gauge starts to climb fairly rapidly. Fuel economy is somewhat below average, with typical city mileage being approximately 20 miles per gallon. Being designed for American roadways and interests, it's wider than many cars and can be tricky to park in narrower spaces, but overall, it's a good, inexpensive car.