Your mission is to enter Delta space and reclaim the outpost. According to intelligence, much of the surrounding area of space is under H'siffian control; be careful out there!

The H'siffians, utilising the resources at the base have an almost limitless supply of ships and firepower far more advanced than we know. To counter this we can equip you with state-of-the-art weaponry and the very last in military transport. We will be on hand to ferry replacement craft although your ships are expensive and supply is short.

(an excerpt from the game manual)

Armalyte is the sequel to the classic shoot-em-up Delta, released by Thalamus in 1988. The game was produced by Cyberdyne Systems, programmed by Dan Phillips and John Kemp; the graphics designed by Robin Levy.

The game is basically a classical horizontally scrolling shoot-em-up with all the standard power-ups, big weapons and end-of-level bosses. The concept isn't really a fresh one, but it's the implementation that makes Armalyte a fine piece of computer game history. A lot of time has been spend to make the details right; the Commodore 64 version of the game loads every level separately to fit all the data in memory. There is a simultaneous two-player option, graphics are colorful, varied and smooth and the sound effects are first class too. There is no in-game music but the intro tune by Martin Walker is a nice one.

Versions for (at least) Commodore 64, Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, Amiga and Atari ST exist. My favorite is the C64 version which must be one of the greatest shooters ever on the machine.