Part of the Rosette-forming Crassulaceae Project

(This plant has only a minor placement within this project, only a few species form rosettes -- and even those rosettes aren't the typically tight and compact forms which other crassulaceae form).
Kingdom   Plantae
Phylum    Magnoliophyta
Class     Magnoliopsida (Dicotyledons) 
Sub-Class Rosidae
Order     Rosales
Family    Crassulaceae
Genus     Adromischus
Species   Approximately 50
A South African member of the succulent family Crassulaceae (making them relatives of kalanchoe and jade plant). In general, Adromischus leaves are dainty, mottled, and detach easily from the plant. The form the plant takes depends upon species: some form low shrubs, some form loose rosettes. The summer-time flowers of this genus are usually small, trumpet-shaped, and grow on long inflorescences, and range in colour from white to red. Some adromischus species may form a bulbous caudex (a swollen stem) with age.

COMMON NAMES:

"Clam Plant", "Calico Hearts".


CONDITIONS PREFERRED:

Adromischus will tolerate brief and mild frosts, but extended time in temperatures below 40° (fahrenheit) will kill the plant. As with most Crassulaceae, adromischus can tolerate poor soil conditions, so long as it is well draining. Adromischus should be placed in bright but filtered sun. In very warm areas such as Phoenix, the plant should be placed in the shade or the plant may scorch and die.

Due to wide variance between species, specific care and condition depends upon the species.


PROPAGATION:
In cultivation it is most common for the grower to propagate this genera with seeds. Other methods may or may not work, depending on the species.


PRUNING AND GENERAL CARE:

Pruning:
No pruning is necessary except to remove any leaves which have died. This will help to avoid rot and bugs. Avoid touching the healthy leaves of the plant, as they tend to detach easily

Tips:
  • Make sure you know the characteristics of the species you are growing. Get to know your plant.
Problems:
In the event of an unhealthy plant, the first thing to examine is your watering habits. The most common problem is root rot due to overwatering. If the soil is too wet, don't hope it will safely dry out so long as you don't water it for a while. Replace the soil immediately, but be very careful in handling your adromischus, it's leaves may fall off at a touch.

One of the most common pests to houseplants is the mealybug, and your adromischus may fall prey to this pest. The symptoms of a mealybug infestation is slowed or stopped growth (though in winter this is a normal sign of dormancy). If this occurs without apparent cause, remove the plant from the pot and examine the roots and stem-leaf junctions. A white cottony substance is a sure sign of mealybug infestation. Remove all soil and wash the roots gently. Remove any roots which appear damaged with a sharp sterile knife or scissors. Let them dry very throroughly before replanting. Remove cottony patches with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alchohol.