Atari 2600 Game
Produced by: Apollo
Model Number: AP2008
Rarity: 8 Very Rare+
Year of Release: 1982
Programmer: Uncredited

It is your duty to protect the planets from nuclear destruction. The teeming billions of the Sandrian Galaxy are counting on you as their only line of defense. Don't let them down.

Guardian is a paddle game. You control a spaceship that can move back and forth at the bottom of the screen (sound familiar). Your opponent is a huge flying saucer. Underneath you is a force field protecting 3 planets that move from right to left across the screen. (You must have a huge ship, because it is the same size as the planets are). The enemy saucers shots will poke holes in the field, and eventually destroy the planets (unless you can stop him). Killing the big saucer starts everything over again at a higher level of difficulty.

This game doesn't really cover any new ground, but it is pretty fun to play at least. Unfortunately it is really hard to find, and emulation doesn't do this game justice, because PCs don't have paddle controllers.

From the manual

It's been a long war. and you know this will be the last battle Androsian pirates have reduced all nearby galaxies to arid orbs of scorched cosmic rubble.

As Chief Lord of the Sandrian Galactic Council, you are in command of Guardian. Although a powerful weapon. Guardian has protected the children of your worlds for generations and has come to possess almost a mystical aura You are scanning a monitor on Apollo. your chief planet. staring at the image of the gigantic Androsian strategic starship "Dromeda". The warning sirens shrill through the cites of ail three lush green worlds of your galaxy as magnetized ion machines forge protective force fields across the atmosphere.

Dromeda hovers out of range of Guardian's lasers. If her thermo-molecular detonators blast through your force fields your fertile plants will disintegrate into cosmic dust. Guardian's laser commanders report all batteries ready. You prepare to defend your galaxy, the last hope of all our worlds...

Collectors Information

Guardian has long been a collector's favorite because it is one of the few really rare games that is actually fun. Making it worth a bit more than other games of the same rarity. This game is valued at around $150 USD. As always, games with boxes and manuals are worth more.