The following bill was introduced on May 18, 1999 as H.R. 1838. It was marked up by the House International Relations Committee on October 26, 1999 and amended as S. 693, by a vote of 32-6. It was adopted by the House of Representatives on February 1, 2000 by a vote of 341-70.

The original version contained more specific details on the military equipment to be sold to Taiwan. This included satellite early warning data, air-to-air missiles, advanced fighters, AWACS, diesel-powered submarines, anti-submarine systems, Aegis destroyers, and others. The amended version does not contain any references to weapons equipment. There are other changes in S. 693, such as additional reporting requirements.

Below is the text of the amended version, S. 693:

A BILL

To assist in the enhancement of the security of Taiwan, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the 'Taiwan Security Enhancement Act'.

SEC. 2. FINDINGS.

The Congress finds the following:

SEC. 3. TRAINING OF MILITARY OFFICERS AND SALE OF DEFENSE ARTICLES AND SERVICES TO TAIWAN.

SEC. 4. DETERMINATIONS OF DEFENSE NEEDS OF TAIWAN .

SEC. 5. STRENGTHENING THE DEFENSE OF TAIWAN.

SEC. 6. REPORT REGARDING THE ABILITY OF THE UNITED STATES TO RESPOND IN ASIA-PACIFIC CONTINGENCIES THAT INCLUDE TAIWAN.

Sources:
http://www.taiwandocuments.org/hr1838.htm
http://taiwansecurity.org/IS/IS-991026-TSEA.htm
www.fas.org/asmp/resources/govern/crs-RS20370.pdf