He is also the main person responsible for putting together the Detroit Electronic Music Festival as creative director. He came up with the lineup for DEMF 2000, as well as this year's upcoming event, in which he is bringing in a number of international artists which aren't traditional Detroit techno artists.

Just recently, he was asked to step down from his position by Carol Marvin of Pop Culture Media, the corporation providing funds for the festival, because he supposedly did not secure contracts for a number of artists by the scheduled deadline. He has denied this and is suing Pop Culture for breach of contract and defamation of character. While most in the Detroit electronic music community could see the commercialization of the annual festival coming, many have found it particularly unprofessional for this to be done just two weeks before the event.

At least one vendor has already decided not to participate in the event, and many others are considering boycotting the festival in support of Carl. Of course there will still be a number of amazing events put on by the various collectives of artists that have made the Detroit music scene what it is, even if they're not playing at the corporate sponsored official event. But, that's just the way it is in Detroit..