Mothers Day

without a mother

Mothers Day to me is like Easter to a Jew. I am stoutly opposed to it, to be truthful. If anyone has been paying attention lately, my humanistic disdain for genderization has been tainting my writing lately.

However, I need to reflect on the significance of this day in my life. A tragic accident more than a score of years ago left me the child of one parent, not two...the remaining parent being of the male persuasion. The lack of her has been even bigger than the gonad the surgeon took from me.

Calling my stepmother for Mothers Day has always been awkward. This time was not any kind of exception. Such a funny obligation, with odd connotation. Honestly, I have gratitude for only a small part of her attempting to parent me for ten years. I intend that this round will be the last.

Everyone I know of the sort of age to have a living mother does have one, and calls her. I am strangely adrift on this day, without that kind of attachment. Attachments in general are rare in my life. It's something I would like to be different. For now, I imagine Mothers Day is for me kind of like Valentines Day is for someone without a lover. When I no longer observe the holiday, I think it will cease to concern me.

Still, I want my mom.