Comfturble

A proposed variant of the English word "comfortable," based upon what is arguably the most common mispronunciation in the whole of the language. Even in Merriam Webster's Dictionary, the pronunciation "k&m(p)(f)-t&(r)-b&l" is listed as acceptable. Apparently it has fallen into such common usage as to merit official recognition and acceptance.

The objection to this etymological development is that it defies the guidelines of phonetics to such an extent as to offend the sensibilities of any apt observer. Although many English words seem enigmatic in their pronunciation, they are accomodated clearly by rules that are taught to every elementary student. No such explanation appears to exist for the inversion of syllables in the word comfortable.

Observed frequently in the following contexts:

The solution would be the addition of the word comfturble into the official English lexicon, and possibly the designation of comfortable as archaic. Doing so would correct the discrepancy and preserve the integrity of the English language. In the meantime, I will be using the phonetically correct pronunciation of the word as it is spelled.

This is honestly toungue-in-cheek. I don't expect anyone will take my proposal seriously, and people are quite comfortable using the common pronunciation along with the common spelling. Mainly I want to point out an odd quirk in everyday use of language.


The downvoting of my writeup demonstrates that not only do many people use the forementioned pronunciation, they also feel very sensitive about it. That, and people are voting on their emotions and not on style.