Writer, singer (retired), activist. The daughter of Sonny Bono and Cher. In an era when Grace Slick and Paul Kantner named their newborn daughter "god" (later changed to "China") and Abbie and Anita Hoffman named their son "America" (the baby-name equivalent to the American-flag shirt Abbie once desecratingly wore), Sonny (for surely it was he, Tory that he was) named his daughter "Chastity" - named her after a virtue, in that era of free love.

She would appear, when she was very young, with her parents at the end of their television show, being serenaded to the tune of "I Got You Babe". Chastity would, in time, progress from camera-shy to singing or saying a funny word or two, and I think she eventually acted in some of the sketches.

Fast forward to the 90s. Chastity was outed by a tabloid. It added a little more cachet (besides being Celebrity Offspring) to her musical endeavour, an early in-the-wake-of-Nirvana alternative band called Ceremony, which sadly needed cachet. There would be no rock stardom; she ended up writing for The Advocate, working for the Human Rights Campaign, and, later, for GLAAD, the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Discrimination. She is the author of a book, Family Outing.

Sonny, as a congressman, still voted for the Defense of Marriage Act. He had to consider his political viability, after all.