"For heaven sakes, we kid about the liberal media, but every Republican on earth does that." -- presidential candidate Pat Buchanan, 1996

A now-ancient meme, hatched and oft-incubated by "conservatives" in the US, as a way to discredit even factual reports in print and broadcast media. It has some roots in truth - the average young journalist of the 70's (when the FUD started) was probably more liberal than the average citizen. Post-Watergate, journalists have become part of The Establishment, and can even be "in bed" with the very Fat Cats they cover. The real bias favors power, not an ideology. When someone in the know, like Pat Buchanan, mouths the words "liberal media", know that they're just kidding; pity the rubes outside the Beltway who swallow this bullshit whole.

Some words from Colman McCarthy, from 1997:

"The Post is looked on as a liberal paper, which it clearly is not. It's a centrist paper. In fact, there are 1,500 dailies in America, and I defy you to find one liberal paper among them. There are a few pseudo-liberal papers (the Boston Globe, the New York Times, the LA Times, Washington Post) but they're just liberal on the safe liberal issues - gun control, civil rights, curbing your dog: tough ones like that. But on going after the Pentagon, or the US war machine, going after corporate crime - they become tepid. Why? Because most of the big dailies are in the Fortune 500. Do you know what the second most expensive stock on the New York Stock Exchange is? The Washington Post. It sells for $400 a share. What do the wealthy corporations tend to focus on? Problems of the wealthy."