Air Force Space Command (AFSPC), based at Peterson AFB, Colorado, was created on Sept. 1 1982 as a major command (MAJCOM) of the United States Air Force. AFSPC is composed of two numbered air forces (NAF). The Fourteenth Air Force is based at Vandenberg AFB in California and oversees USAF space operations supporting U.S. Space Command (USSPACECOM)and North American Defense Command (NORAD) operational plans and missions, dealing mainly with satellites. The Twentieth Air Force is based at F.E. Warren AFB, Wyoming and oversees AFSPC’s intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) weapon systems in support of U.S. Strategic Command (STRATCOM) war plans.

Note: U.S. Space Command and U.S. Strategic Command are scheduled to merge in October 2002.

AFSPC bases, stations, and units include: Cheyenne Mountain, Schriever, Peterson, and Buckley, Colorado; Los Angeles, Onizuka, and Vandenberg, California; Cape Canaveral and Patrick, Florida; Minot and Cavalier, North Dakota; F.E. Warren, Wyoming; Malmstrom, Montana; Clear, Alaska; New Boston, New Hampshire; and Thule, Greenland.

AFSPC operates and supports the Global Positioning System, Defense Satellite Communications Systems Phase II and III, Defense Meteorological Support Program, Defense Support Program, NATO III and IV communications and Fleet Satellite Communications System UHF follow-on and MILSTAR satellites.

Official website: http://www.peterson.af.mil/hqafspc/