the near-extinct basselope is a creature that exists in berke breathed's comic universe, part basset hound and part antelope. rosebud the basselope was a character who appeared in bloom county and occasionally, i believe, in outland. the combination of the two species yielded a short dog with antlers who could jump somewhat higher than most dogs of that breed. rosebud once got very depressed when he attempted to jump over a fence and got stuck on top of it, due to his underwhelming leaping abilities and his tummy, which held him nicely in place.

in a few episodes, rosebud was considered by the american government as an alternative to pricier weapons in development during the reagan era. the idea was that this unique american citizen would strap a bomb to his back and pass under enemy radar in a series of long (not tall) leaps. the military sent out a general to go over this idea with rosebud, and his reaction upon meeting the basselope was thus: 'little piddled on my tony lamas!'

rosebud tried to join the bloom county heavy metal band billy and the boingers (previously deathtöngue), but his influences (barry manilow, i believe) were deemed unsuitable for the sound the band wanted to accomplish.

basselopes like pop tarts.