College water polo and highschool water polo differ greatly. In highschool, the "coaches" (which, in any state other than California, were varsity swimmers and P.E. majors at low quality universities) basically teach you how not to drown. The common practice is to use a skill called the eggbeater, in which you tread water by using your legs as propellors in an eggbeater-like fashion. It is difficult to learn, but once mastered is quite powerful.

After having made sure that you do not die in the freezing water (which sometimes makes you want to die), highschool coaches instruct you in basic water polo strategy. The typical offense resembles an umbrella with one man two meters in front of the goal, the two meter man, while five other players surround him in a semi-circle with a radius or approximately 10 meters. At this point, the coach will tell players that getting the ball in the goal is good. Do it often. And, ala little league soccer, the kids play kill the cow in the pool.

College water polo is much more brutal and requires a lot more skill than could be acquired in most highschool programs (with the exception of schools in Southern California because they have programs the equivilent of some colleges). Offense is much more strategic and clever in that most teams have designed plays and many skillful players that will work very hard to embarass the other team's goalie.

Good college players usually try out for the U.S. National Team, a group of elite players from all over the country that competes with other national teams from all over the world. And, of course, the best of the best is the U.S. Olymic Team, a group of players that range in age from 18 to 38. The eighteen year old player is Tony Azevedo, a product of Long Beach's Wilson Highschool and a player for Stanford University. He will most likely be one of the best players in the world once he develops more and gets more experience at the Olympic level.