A book that inspires and influences must not only spark interest in the mind, but also effect the heart and spirit. There are great books, but the true greatness of any book is measured only in what emotions and thoughts it cultivates in each reader. For myself, A Prayer for Owen Meany, penned by John Irving, was a book that provoked emotions in myself and made me feel absorbed in the story.

The life story of Owen Meany is quite unconventional and profoundly rooted in his religious beliefs. We follow the unique life of Owen through the voice and memories of his lifelong best friend, Johnny Wheelwright. Wheelwright narrates as a grown adult reflecting upon his childhood and adolescent years. The story of the two boys' lives together evolves into discussion on the purpose of Owen’s existence. The work is especially touching with the charity and self-giving that Owen accomplishes. Reading the book, one feels as though they know Owen, not necessarily empathizing with or understanding him at all times, but knowing him as a friend.

The carefully crafted world in which the novel is set integrates everything from a battle between Christian religious denominations to that of the Vietnam War, and adds to the emotional intensity of events of the text. A Prayer for Owen Meany inspires the reader to think about and to question Owen Meany’s claims to be God’s instrument, and the odd string of events that would ultimately put Owen into his “fated” situation. Whether or not Owen Meany truly was all that his personal religious beliefs asserted, the book does inspire a reader to consider the possibilities of his foreshadowing and the phenomenon that was his life.

A Prayer for Owen Meany is an original work that is dynamic and emotionally provocative. It may even influence religious beliefs and respect for life in readers. The author has created a masterpiece that will continue to encourage thought and animate emotion in readers for many years to come. I would highly recommend the reading of this work to anybody, student and adult alike, even though most high school or college students will encounter this work in their studies.