A magnificent US state filled with friendly people, cows, and a few famous kooks. Located east of Idaho, west of North Dakota and South Dakota, north of Wyoming, and south of the Canadian provinces of British Colombia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan. The capital is Helena, other major towns include Missoula, Butte, Great Falls, and Billings.

Montana's eastern and western parts are geographically and economically quite different: the western portion of the state is mountainous and forested, with timber, mining, and tourism (to see the magnicifent scenery as its main industries, while the eastern portion is flat and dry, a land of wheat farming and cattle ranching.

Montana is a huge state with a relatively small population. The area is 147,046 square miles and the state has a population of appox. 880,000, for a population density of 6.0 per square mile. While the population is overwhelmingly white, 6% of the state's residents are Native American. The Flathead (Federated Tribe of the Salish-Kootenai), Fort Peck (Assiniboine and Sioux, Rocky Boy's (Corruption of the Stone Child band of the Chippewa (Ojibwa)-Cree), and Crow Indian Reservations are found in the state.

Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park and a section of Yellowstone Park are to be found in the state. Flathead Lake is the largest freshwater lake in the country outside of the Great Lakes.

The Berkeley Pit, the largest CERCLA (superfund) site in the country, is a former mine and lifeless pool of mining wastes located outside of the sad old mining town of Butte.

Famous Montanans include painter Charles M. Russell, congresswoman Jeannette Rankin, and newscaster Chet Huntley. While the Unabomber (Ted Kaczynski) lived in a small cabin in the state, he was actually a product of U.C. Berkeley who moved to Montana because there would be nobody nearby to harass him.

Montana has repealed its old "Reasonable & Prudent" speed limit which garnered its highways the moniker "Montanabahn", and replaced it with a limit of 75mph.

The state has no sales tax.