from Davryan Laboratories, Inc. Portland, OR

Probe is available in two formulations: Classic and Silky Light.
We have not tried the light version, so all fact and opinion herein concern Probe Classic.

The package states (in English and French, no less):

"Laboratory formulated to mimic the body's own lubrication, PROBE is a pH neutral blend of simple ingredients and citrus preservative that is odorless, tasteless, non-staining, and harmless if swallowed. PROBE is extensively tested and is considered safe and non-irritating to mucous membranes. PROBE is safe for vaginal, rectal and oral use, and for use with condoms."

INGREDIENTS: Purified Water, Vegetable Glycerine, Polyethylene Oxide, Grapefruit Seed Extract. (Nice and simple!)

At the recommendation of Blowfish (the sex toys site, not Bruce Schneier's encryption algorhithm) we purchased Probe for those times when the lube really has to last a long time and stay where you put it. Probe performs these roles fairly well. It is excellent when used with latex or silicone (toys, gloves, condoms, etc.), but not quite ideal for marathon skin-to-skin action. Until something thicker, slicker, and longer-lasting comes along, Probe has earned its keep. But sadly, it is not quite the perfect lube.

Two drawbacks:

  1. It lasts, but not quite long enough.
    During testing, Probe went on very nicely, and had an extremely slippery touch -- it is almost incredibly slippery initially. However, as we worked with it, and as the intensity of our trial increased, the stuff soon became more creamy, and then quite sticky; within 25 minutes we were basically stuck. Naturally, this is not a desirable effect. To be fair, this is the case with all water-based lubes; and Probe outlasts many of them. Of course, adding a little water, saliva or more lube brings the silly, messy slickness right back. So, follow Trina's excellent advice (in Some tips on vaginal fisting, for beginners): keep adding more and more of the stuff, and Probe will likely suffice...
  2. Probe is one of the stringiest substances on Earth.
    You know how honey or some kinds of synthetic adhesives produce really fine viscous threads of fluid when you apply them? I swear, a thread of Probe could be stretched from one end of the bedroom to the other, whatever the size of the bedroom. It's pretty cool to play with; but not so cool to try and manage with one whole hand shoved inside someone. And those molecular filaments of goo can be pretty dang cold too.

So, probe is pretty good. Buy the big bottle for $15-20 USD -- you won't want to run out. Keep a little squirt bottle of warm water nearby, and remember, there is no such thing as too much lube.