An international resurgence of cinema came about in the 1960s and 1970s, rich in experimentation, contemporary in style and content, intensely personal. Unrelated nations went through social and political upheavals, the death of Josef Stalin loosened the grip on Russian-controlled East European filmmaking and incidentally the old-school studio system, in the United States as well as abroad, was beginning to eat itself alive. The result was that each country sprung its' own New Wave of young and enthusiastic directors, often as a direct reaction to the pre-existing system of filmmaking. Collectively a body of work has been produced that was huge in volume and quality, and probably has not been equaled since. This is an attempt to map out the major (and minor) movements of the era, each with its' major (and minor) players and films.

The influences between the movements can be indirect and mapping them in this way can be downright misleading. The Hollywood filmmakers of the late 1940s and 1950s influenced the French and the Germans, the French influenced the East Europeans, the East Europeans influenced the French, etc, ad infinitum. In their turn the American filmmakers of the late 1960s and early 1970s, listed at the bottom, were influenced by all those who preceded them. The list is also in no way complete, and any feedback is appreciated.