When I was younger I once decided to make a Eliza-like AI program. Now me being a young geek I had recently read The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy and it being one of the more amazing books I had read to date it was obvious who I'd model it off... Marvin. Of course I messed up and called it Marvin, the Depressed Robot but hey, he was really depressed not paranoid...

For those of you who don't know the original Eliza uses a nifty little algorithm that basicly looks for pronouns and some common verbs and turns them around, "You are stupid." becomes "What makes you think I am stupid?" Well I was 12 at the time and didn't know about pronouns and verbs nor was too interested in learning, so I used keyword scanning. I had 3 sections, computer terms, life terms and family terms. Both computer terms and life terms had a hardcoded response, "Can we talk about something else?" and "Life, don't talk about it." Family terms had a few basic "I don't care about your (insert term)" type things. As a fall back I added some random phrases like "Could you just go away?" and "Brain the...Oh whats the use?"

Of course in practice no-one ever triggered my terms and only the 10 random responses were ever used. What's funny is what happened when I took the whole mess to the science fair. The first day I was the second-most popular project, the first being a Tesla Coil, but by the second day I was the most popular and had a constant 10-20 people trying to get a seat! People were absolutely fascinated by a program with no sound or graphics that just spit out depressive-sounding phrases. And the judges even gave me one of the 15 or so silver medals given out.

Joseph Weizenbaum should have just given Eliza a mental disorder...