A computer network protocol. Created by Jeremy Friesner, author of BeShare. MUSCLE stands for "Multi User Server Client Linkage Environment". It is the protocol used by the BeShare client to communicate between client and server, and between clients. All chat and filesharing traffic goes through this protocol.

According to the author, Jeremy Friesner:

"MUSCLE is a robust, somewhat scalable, cross-platform client-server messaging system for dynamic distributed applications that runs under any POSIX-compliant operating system. MUSCLE has been developed, used, and refined as the networking component of BeShare and various audio control applications at Level Control Systems for over two years."

The server for the MUSCLE protocol is muscled, and is run from the command line. A single MUSCLE server can be used for any muscle-aware application, such as a filesharing client like BeShare, a networked battleship game, or the test client that is distributed with the server.

The following systems have been tested and are known to run muscled without any problems:

Detailed information about the MUSCLE protocol, reproduced from Jeremy Friesner's "MUSCLE Overview and Beginner's Guide" is available at that node.


The homepage of MUSCLE is at http://www.lcscanada.com/muscle/. All information taken from that site.