Paladin: The Diablo II Character Class

Paladin is one of the five Diablo II character types. He is characterized as being "noble", a traditional Paladin trait outside of Diablo II. As such, his skill tree includes many skills (mostly consisting of "auras") that benefit others in the party1. My Paladin (Reverius) is currently at level 21, and has the Prayer aura at level 20. Of course, that results in quick mana depletion<2> when providing a typical party of 10 or so (including NPCs) with regeneration capabilities.

Usual Equipment

The Paladin is usually equipped with certain types of items that work specifically for the Paladin by giving him Paladin skills or work exclusively for Paladins.

Weapons include scepters (usually beneficial to Paladin skills) or, on the more generic side, maces or swords. It depends whether better damage or speed is desired, or more skills. At higher levels, weapons like two-handed swords tend to be used if the Paladin is a particularly offensive one. I am currently using the Bloodrise Morning Star over the scepter I could be using... it does way more damage. The full list of Normal scepters consists of Scepter, Grand Scepter, and War Scepter types, although there is no reason why a Paladin can't use any kind of weapon.

As far as defense goes, pretty much anything works. I am using a regular helm, Hsarus' Iron Heel, regular gloves, and regular armor. The belt I'm using is a Strong Belt of Regeneration, which gives me Replenish Life +5. This complements my Prayer skill nicely. The important piece of defense as a Paladin is the shield. Paladins have specialized shields; at least in the earlier stages (Normal skill level up to Act 3), they are Targes and Rondaches. They typically provide Paladin skills, as well as resistances to magic. The Normal Paladin Shields consist of Targes, Rondaches, Heraldic Shields, Aerin Sheilds, and Crown Shields.

Skill Tree

All skills in Diablo II have a maximum of 20. One skill point can be assigned to any available skill each time a character reaches a new level. However, the maximum can sometimes be exceeded by equipping items that grant additional skill points to specific skills that have already been maxed out. The Paladin skills are grouped into the three sections below. The charts show the required level on the left, and skill prerequisites by lines connecting the skills. For instance, Cleansing requires a character level of 12 and Prayer (at least one skill point of it).

Defensive Auras


1  |    Prayer                    Resist Fire
   |       |
6  |       |        Defiance      Resist Cold
   |       |          |
12 |    Cleansing     |           Resist Lightning
   |       |      \   |
18 |       |        Vigor
   |       |          |
24 |    Meditation    |
   |                  |
30 |                Redemption    Salvation

Offensive Auras


1  |    Might  -->    \ 
   |      |            \
6  |      |              Holy Fire      Thorns
   |      |                  |             |
12 |    Blessed Aim          |             |
   |      |                  |             |
18 |    Concentration    Holy Freeze \     |
   |      |                  |        \    |
24 |      |              Holy Shock     Sanctuary
   |      |                                |
30 |    Fanaticism                      Conviction

Combat Skills


1  |    Sacrifice                         Smite
   |      |                                  |
6  |      |           Holy Bolt              |
   |      |               |                  |
12 |    Zeal              |               Charge
   |      |               |                  |
18 |    Vengeance     Blessed Hammer  \      |
   |      |               |            \     |
24 |    Conversion \      |               Holy Shield
   |                \     |
30 |                  Fist of the Heavens


Footnotes:

  1. In Diablo II, there are usually multiple characters in a party, especially on Battle.net. They fight close to each other. The auras of the Paladin affect all members of the party including other players and NPCs.
  2. Prayer is one of the few auras that requires mana to function. It uses a certain amount of mana to heal a certain number of hit-points.


Sources:

  1. http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/normal/paladinshields.shtml
  2. http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/normal/scepters.shtml
  3. http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/paladin-defense.shtml
  4. http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/paladin-offense.shtml
  5. http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/paladin-combat.shtml