David Bellamy was born on the 18th January, 1933 in England and grew up in Surrey. He attended Sutton Grammar School, Chelsea College of Science and Technology and Bedford College, London.

Bellamy is primarily a botanist but over the years has nurtured a talent for presenting and writing. He became a UK household name in 1974 when he co-presented the children’s programme, "Don't Ask Me" (famous for his beard and "gwapple me gwape nuts" gaffaw gaffaw style, and for meeting wertperch on a train and remembering him in a hotel several weeks later). However, Bellamy hasn't appeared on TV for almost a decade - apparently he's considered too outspoken (running for election in 1997 for the Referendum Party arguably did the most damage to his TV career). Outspoken may imply an overbearing and argumentative man, but in 2002, Bellamy wrote "A Jolly Green Giant" - a title that sums up his character perfectly.

Not a man to stand idly by, Bellamy was arrested on December 14th, 1982, for protesting against the construction of the Franklin River Dam along with 52 other protesters. The blockade continued until March 1983, during which time 1,400 people were arrested and many jailed. The protest was, eventually, successful.

Bellamy lives in Bishop Auckland, county Durham with his wife of 50 years, Rosemary (a biologist). Together, they have two sons (Eoghain and Rufus) and three daughters (Brighid, Henrietta and Karen) - with the exception of Rufus, all of their children are adopted citing their belief that the world is over-populated enough already.

His achievements include -

  • Director: Botanical Enterprises Ltd
  • Founder and President: Conservation Foundation (David Bellamy Conservation Awards)
  • President of: Population Concern, YHA, Plantlife, WATCH, NAEE, Wildlife Trusts Partnership
  • Trustee: Living Landscape Trust, Galapagos Conservation Trust, Soil Health Association of New Zealand, Upland Gamekeepers Association, World Land Trust
  • Author of 43 books, writer and presenter of over 400 television programmes on Botany, Ecology and the Environment

    Career history

  • 1956: Created Botanical Enterprises (Publications) Ltd
  • 1960-1982: Botany lecturer, University of Durham.
  • 1974-1978: Presented on the television programme, "Don't Ask Me" (BBC)
  • 1978: Presented on "Botanic Man" (Thames)
  • 1979-1980: Presented on the television programme, "Don't Just Sit There" (re-named from "Don't Ask Me") (BBC)
  • 1981: Presented on "Bellamy's Backyard Safari" (BBC)
  • 1982: Hon Professor Adult Education of Botany.
  • 1986: Presented on "Bellamy's Bugle" (ITV)
  • 1987: Special Professor of Botany, University of Nottingham.
  • 1989-1991: Visiting professor of Natural Heritage Studies, Massey University, New Zealand.
  • 1998: Founder of David Bellamy Conservation Awards

    Further information

  • http://tv.cream.org/ (information about Bellamys programmes)
  • http://www.wilderness.org.au/campaigns/wildrivers/franklin/franklin/
  • http://www.davidbellamyconservation.org.uk/
  • http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0%2C3604%2C801411%2C00.html/


    Contrary to popular belief, David Bellamy is not in prison and isn't dead. Well, not at the time of writing.