Dicks was a political punk rock band founded around 1980 in Austin, Texas. Lead singer and front man Gary Floyd was a big man who added a touch of blues to the Dicks with his deep rich baritone. His voice could be soulful and conjuring as well as threatening and accosting. Floyd was backed by three big Texan roughnecks who played as tough as they looked. Early on the Dicks played red-hot sets with gutsy hacksaw guitar riffs and straightahead no-nonsence rhythm. Their first album was a split live set with the Big Boys and called Recorded Live at Raul's Club. Their second album was Kill from the Heart released in 1983 on the SST label.

The Dicks went to San Francisco after that and Floyd hooked up with Jello Biafra of the Dead Kennedys. In 1985 the Dicks released a third album, These People on Biafra's label, Alternative Tentacles. The band had some personnel changes which found Lynn Perko on the drums. She and Floyd would eventually go on to form another band, Sister Double Happiness. The band also developed a more polished and more mainstream rock sound with the latest and last album. The remaining members of the Dicks went back to Austin and the band eventually broke up.

Mudhoney did a cover to Hate Police which appeared on their first album. Jesus Lizard,another band, did a cover to Wheelchair Epidemic.

Discography:

Source:

AMG All Music Guide (http://www.allmusic.com)