Well, today has certainly been eventful. I woke up at 2:49 a.m., went on a long, brisk walk. I think I'll do that more often. It's good "me time." I don't take music. Just my keys and a cell phone. Nothing to hear but my own thoughts, the fountain in the middle of the apartment complex, and the distant roar of a car or two. I had to come up with some ideas for the implementation of a network in a new building, along with a bunch of day to day sysadmin stuff.

When I got off work, I found out my grandmother had died. It's a weird feeling. I was closer to this grandmother than any other grandparent because my mom used to leave me with her when she went to work until I went to kindergarten. She developed Alzheimer's disease when I was in my mid teens. Because I went to school out of state, she didn't recognize me over the past few years. A distance developed between us, and I don't really know how to feel right now. I'm sad, but not as much as I would have thought. She was 90 years old, and had a stroke, apparently.

My grandmother was a big influence over me. My love of reading is almost certainly due to the fact that I was around her all the time when I was learning how. She always had books around. She is the only woman I can recall ever spanking me with a switch. The greatest sadness is that I could not have good conversations with her when I was old enough to really appreciate them. I think that last sentence really started the grieving process for me.