Born Brad Jordan on November 9,1969, in Houston, Texas, Scarface began his rap career in the mid 80s as a solo artist on Rap-A-Lot records. He went by the stage name "Ackshen." After two of the founding members of the Geto Boys, a group also signed to the label, left. Jordan, another Rap-A-Lot solo artist Willie D, and a dancer-turned-rapper, Bushwick Bill joined the sole remaining member DJ Reddy Red, to form the new Geto Boys. On the first Geto Boys album, Grip It! On that other Level, Ackshen came out with what came to be the most popular song on the album, the solo track entitled Scarface. The immense popularity of the song brought about Jordan changing his stage name to Scarface.

Scarface quickly established himself as the godfather of southern rap, delivering hardcore lyrics over bluesy, funky beats provided by Rap-A-Lot producers. In a world of one hit wonders and sophomore jinxes, Scarface's longevity is such that he is one of a select few rap artists to have a career spanning over a decade. He has shown himself to be capable not only as a rapper, being considered one of the all time greats of the genre, but also as a businessman, being selected to head Def Jam's new southern division.