The ability to speak to as many people as possible, and to simultaneously offend the fewest amount of people. Generally, an American phenomenon. Politicians are known to employ "PC" techniques frequently, although its usage is spreading to much of the public. For some reason, much of the American public lambasts liberals for its extensive acceptance, although active usage of it is hardly exclusive to them.

Since the explosion of political correctness in the Sixties, the American vernacular has greatly expanded. In an attempt to upset as few groups as possible, the English language has become exceedingly "euphemized".

Here is a snippet of politically correct language:

congressman -> congressperson
blind -> visually impaired
old -> senior
fat -> obese -> differently sized
illegal aliens -> undocumented workers
handicapped -> disabled -> physically challenged
Indians -> Native Americans -> indigenous peoples
friendly fire (in the military) -> incontinent ordnance
pet -> animal companion

What is the purpose of all of these obfuscations to the English language? Certainly only a small minority of people would be offended by the terms on the left. But now the American majority has to devote much time to learning euphemisms in order to make a few people feel "good."

Why the popularity in political correctness? In the Sixties, the concept of victimization for everyone exploded. Adults abused as children suddenly were not responsible for their actions. Racial minorities blamed whites for their destitute and underrepresented state. Homosexuals lobbied to have specifically pro-gay books read to first graders (troubling because most first grade reading consists of tolerance and respect for all, not just one group). All of these situations are somewhat valid (racism and homophobia still exist), but the validity is so minuscule that focus on them tends to waste everyone's energies and time.

The most effective way to encourage tolerance is through action. Degrading the English dialect may be simple, but it is not practical. Minority groups need to focus on improving their rights, not concentrating on dominance. Spreading tolerance is good, but confusing people just makes the majority more upset and intolerant.

Battles over PC, will continue far into the future. One side wants respect for all, and the other side wants a simpler language. Don't expect the heat to die down on this issue.