<< Article 34 | Constitution of Ireland | Article 36 >>

  1. The judges of the Supreme Court, the High Court and all other Courts established in pursuance of Article 34 hereof shall be appointed by the President.
  2. All judges shall be independent in the exercise of their judicial functions and subject only to this Constitution and the law.
  3. No judge shall be eligible to be a member of either House of the Oireachtas or to hold any other office or position of emolument.
    1. A judge of the Supreme Court or the High Court shall not be removed from office except for stated misbehaviour or incapacity, and then only upon resolutions passed by Dáil Éireann and by Seanad Éireann calling for his removal.
    2. The Taoiseach shall duly notify the President of any such resolutions passed by Dáil Éireann and by Seanad Éireann, and shall send him a copy of every such resolution certified by the Chairman of the House of the Oireachtas by which it shall have been passed.
    3. Upon receipt of such notification and of copies of such resolutions, the President shall forthwith, by an order under his hand and Seal, remove from office the judge to whom they relate.
  4. The remuneration of a judge shall not be reduced during his continuance in office.
  5. << Article 34 | Constitution of Ireland | Article 36 >>