In the recent presidential election, Nader fell short of winning the 5% of the national vote which would have made the Green Party eligible for federal matching funds in the 2004 election. He did succeed, however, in making the Green Party the third largest party in the United States: this kind of brings America into line with Western Europe, where Green politics are far from marginal.

The question, however, is where to from here? The previous holders of the distinction "Third Largest Party", the Reform Party, seem to be in utter disarray: is this the ultimate fate of the Greens, or can they build on the gains they've made this year? One problem is many people think of Nader as an "Independent" candidate, rather than the representative of a significant party.

http://www.votenader.org/ carries a call to all Nader's supporters, as well as disaffected Republicans and Democrats, to join in creating progressive/Green politics in the USA:

America can do better.  The two major parties have abdicated their responsibility to lead, to advocate solutions and to promote true democracy from the city halls to Congress and the White House. We can do better.

I for one believe him, but will anybody be listening once the Presidential brouhaha dies down?