I kinda see it as something I'd need a reason to start doing, rather than something I need a reason not to do

I totally agree with that. The process of starting to drink has been naturalised as part and parcel of growing up, and I did start drinking with the rest of my friends during my teens, because it just seemed like something we were supposed to do. However, when I finally did think about it on a conscious level, I realised that not drinking was an option, and in fact the preferable one. I don't have alcoholism in my family, but I was aware that alcohol has more negative health effects than most people are aware of. So basically I made the decision to experiment with growing up as a non-drinker and see how I liked it.

Although I never said to myself: "I will never drink", ten years on I am now a confirmed non-drinker. I have never come across a reason to drink, and I doubt that I will at this stage in my life. I have not missed out on anything as a result, my social life is entirely normal, and I regularly visit the pub.

The only caveat is that, as a foodie, I am sometimes tempted to take up drinking wine, because everybody tells me that it complements food so well. However, not drinking gives me so many benefits that I can live with having water with my meal. Also, I'm not an obsessive, "no drop shall pass my lips" non-drinker, so I can taste a drop of wine or whatever, when I care to.