"Smack My Bitch Up" is slang, and contrary to many popular beliefs, it has nothing to do with abuse of women. In slang it means to do something intensly, like being on stage, as this is the case. Other references may be to herion use.

Here are some quotes about the song:

”We’re not trying to put messages in about ’It’s cool to beat up women,’ because that’s just pathetic.” – Leeroy.

The band thought its audience was intelligent enough not to take its songs as instructional audiotapes.” – A Prodigy spokesman.

”While the lyric in question was never intended to be harmful or disrespectful to women or any other group and we sincerely regret that it may have been misinterpreted, the possibility that some will be offended or disturbed by any creative work is a risk inherent in any artistic endeavor.” – Warner Bros. Records apologizing for the lyrics.

And besides, what ever happened to freedom of speech? Any artist should be able to put our their own message, just like any regular person can. They also should not be blamed for any kind of crime caused by their listener(s) because of their music. Like the case was with their hit "Firestarter," which apparently caused some to set fire to other people's property.

Reffering to Tom Dissonance's writeup. Prodigy does give credit to this song, and I believe is was Liam Howlett, who later used it in his composition, Dirtchamber.