In keeping with my tradition of cooking strange things when I'm manic, tonight I was craving cookies. However I had no money, no cookie mix, and all the recipes I could find in my house were waay too complicated or required baking powder, which I did not have. While tearing the kitchen apart however, I did find several boxes of pudding in the back of one of the cupboards, along with a large bag of powdered sugar.

So after making a huge mess of my kitchen, I invented these cookies, which have a slightly odd texture and a light, delicate lemon flavor and go really good with hot chocolate. Please enjoy them in good health.

Ingredients:

2.5 Cups (595 mL) of flour (to start with, you will need more later)

1 & 3/4 cups (420 mL) powdered sugar (more for optional garnish)

1 Stick of butter (about 113 grams), softened.

1 Egg

2 Cups (475 mL) cold milk

1 Box of instant lemon pudding mix

About a spoonful of baking soda

About one half that same spoonful of vanilla extract

Optional: A half a bag of Heath toffee chips and a few handfuls of slivered almonds, which I found in the back of my cupboard.


Preheat oven to 350, or 176 for you metric kids. Combine all ingredients except pudding mix, optionals, and milk in a large mixing bowl. Stir until they are blended. Add pudding mix, then milk. Stir, then allow about five minutes for pudding mix to soft set. You'll know that it has because it will be MUCH more difficult to stir. Beat the heck out of it, stirring until there are no lumps. Batter should now be about the consistency of thick cake batter. If you are going to add optional ingredients, now's the time. Add more flour until the dough is so thick it becomes very difficult to stir... If you pick up a lump of it in your hand and then let it drop it will drop in big, thick chunks from your hand. Give the dough one last stir, taste to see if it's sweet enough (Mine wasn't quite, so i added a handful more of the powdered sugar.) Take a moment to pray to your favorite kitchen god. Then spoon onto cookie sheets and bake for 15 minutes per batch. These work best if they're small, the dough lumps should be about the size of a fifty cent piece, and running your finger around them in a circle will give you a slightly more round, regular appearance.

To make powdered sugared cookies, take them while they are still warm and roll them in the leftover powdered sugar for a moment.

Makes 2 large platefuls of cookies.

Thanks to oknos for the original sugar cookie recipe I used for this, and Dimview, who's response when I asked to see if this would work in the catbox was "Do it, node it."