The problems with moral relativism stem largely from the fact that people, especially conservatives it seems (my apologies if you are conservative and do agree with moral relativism), want a set of hard and fast rules written down to adhere to. This is because, too often, people feel that they are not qualified to decide what is right or wrong.

People do decide what is right or wrong though. Every act is based on the actor's thoughts and experiences and is usually what the actor sees as the best possible action.

Another problem with MR that people see is the idea of punishment. They believe that to punish someone whose morals are relatively different from their own must be immoral. To them I say this: One punishes a child who will not go to bed on time, or belts another kid with a toy dump truck. Do we feel terrible for this? No, we feel that we are correcting them. Punishment occurs in this relative world as a means of shaping the actions of others in the future, as long as one feels that it is moral to punish them. Who should make these lofty decisions about punishment you ask? I should. I have found myself capable of judging almost every situation I encounter, and I seldom regret my decisions based on their morality. Or you could just use the people your country has hired, but they are more concerned with Law than Morality.

Moral Relativism does not describe the way things should be, but the way they are.