You didn't want it, and I wanted what you wanted.
We're in your car with music screaming out the speakers. I think the lyrics are angry, but I don't think it mattered because the sound drowned into the background. The windows are down and cold air filled my lungs, but I gripped the bottle of cheap vodka you snuck from your dad's dresser and took a big swing as you sped on the highway 85 miles an hour.
The taste warmed my throat as I glanced out the window. Wind whipped my hair into a tossled mess on my head. I giggled as I saw blurs of street lamps and road signs that passed my vision.
I turned in my seat to look at you. Your eyes lit up with bright green, and long, brown strands of your bangs swept over your cheek. I felt weak when I saw you grin at my direction. You planted a quick kiss on my lips and snagged the bottle from my hands. You laughed after you swallowed a mouthful of vodka.
My fingers itched to touch your face for some reason. I guess you sensed my intentions because you turned your attention to my face and smiled. You mouthed words that I couldn't comprehend. My eyes mirrored confusion.
There was sudden light penetrating through the windshield and I stared in shock at the incoming headlights that sounded a long horn.
You reacted quickly and I felt the car swerved and jerked. Then came the final impact, making my head connect to the car door.

.......

I woke up from the hospital with an IV bag attached to my arm. I blinked my eyes open until everything came into focus, but I heard words being exchanged. A doctor spoke to my parents in a hushed tone and I listened with my breath held in.

A crash.
Heavy damage.
Caleb forgot his seatbelt.
Broken bones and blood.
Caleb's dead.

Baby didn't make it.
Such a shame.

I kept my eyes shut and somehow saw you in the car mouthing out "Let's keep it. I'll love you both."

It's too late now. I lost you and I lost our baby.


----Note: I felt inspired by a friend and this story is for her.]