Sugared almonds are traditionally given as wedding favours, presented five at a time to symbolise health, wealth, happiness, luck and fertility (or longevity). They are, surprisingly enough, almonds coated with sugar; the thickness of the coating depends on manufacturer and cost. Confectionery manufacturers wishing to make a larger profit will often give the almonds a very thick coating, meaning that fewer almonds are needed to make up a 1kg box. Almonds with a thinner coating of sugar, conversely, are much more pleasurable to the taste buds, as too much sugar can be a bad thing.

To make your own sugared almonds, you will need:

2½ lb. shelled almonds
1 lb. confectioners sugar
3 egg whites

METHOD:

  1. Roast almonds at approx. 180°C (350°F) for 15-20 minutes.
  2. While almonds are roasting, continually beat sugar and egg whites.
  3. When almonds are roasted, add to icing mixture, coating well.
  4. Spread out on wooden board to dry. When dry, separate almonds, breaking off any excess icing.
Store-bought sugared almonds tend to be coloured pink and white. Of course, a veritable rainbow of confectionery can be achieved by adding different food colourings to the icing mixture. Enjoy!



Albert Herring says In Italian, sugared almonds are called "confetti" which presumably relates to the wedding link. They're a local speciality of the town of Sulmona in the Abruzzi.