Whatever floats your boat, eh?

I first heard this saying almost exactly two years ago, and it really bothered me for some reason. I mentioned it to the people there, but for the life of me I couldn't explain why. I think I figured it out today.

A similar (and possibly related) saying is We'll drink enough beer to float your boat to Valhalla, generally said before somebody does something really stupid. The modern equivilent is the famous Oh, hell. Why not? said in a jovial fasion, prior to the equally-famous (and final) Oops... or Oh, SHIT!.

Back to the point, both of the sayings mention floating a boat, or rather the boat - your deathbed. So I guess that's what has been bothering me. My mind made a connection between the two which made the saying Whatever floats your boat... a death-saying. Which is kinda depressing, to say the least. It's almost exactly like saying Well, it's your funeral..., but not as sarcastic.

Stuff like this reminds me of the connection between Santa Claus and the old pagan blood-on-the-snow-in-the-woods rituals which were preformed to make the winter end. (Look it up, the connection is scary. Think of the origin of the XMas colors of red, white and green.)

Well, that was another of those back-burner ideas, which sit in the back of your head for months or even years before you suddenly go: "Hey, that's it!" (or Eureka, if you're Greek.)

Last thing: I keep finding myself begining every sentence in my daylogs with either a I or some grammatical tool-work (Well / However / etc.) Is this something that daylogs create, or am I subconsciously self-centered? /me is going to worry about that.