I completely agree with the writeup by mullakamakalaka- but wish to add to it, as I see three potential ways that American Capitalism can continue:

1. the default: the middle class gets nickeled and dimed to death as the race to the bottom slowly reduces our standard of living and willingness to accept lower compensation until we can compete on even ground with ditch diggers in Zimbabwe (a correlation to this- in an effort to prevent economic deflation the federal government merely prints enough money to make the dollar worth less than a Zimbabwean Baked Bean)

2. The top-down solution: America assumes the position of being the world's consumers, and those with good credit and fake paper-pushing jobs such as bankers and stock brokers continue to win, while the rest of us go on welfare. In this situation, the income gap grows ever wider- as the minority of earners deride the majority of takers.

3. The bottom-up solution: Distributionism, a model proposed by G. K. Chesterton that is so little known that I couldn't find any writeups directly on it on E2, but more in keeping with Alice in Wonderland (Chesterton and Lewis Carroll were contemporaries, after all) which in the United States would require repealing Article I Section 10 of the US Constitution. This model insists that there are not too many capitalists, but rather too few, and that each city or village or district should use local currency and other forms of protectionism such as tariffs to insure self-sufficiency in as many products as possible, trade being only a last resort. As such, Distributionism deals with the current surplus of labor by encouraging entrepreneurship in the old Guild method; if a man cannot find a master in his chosen field to apprentice himself to, the local government will gladly give him a grant to expand the locality's self-sufficiency by creating a new business in that field, thus reducing the need for trade. It also changes the focus of the economic system from efficiency and profit to simple maximization of labor (the economic kind, not the bringing children into the world kind), thus treating people as individuals rather than units of resources.

As you can see, I'd really like to see #3 win- but since it requires a constitutional amendment, #1 and #2 are far more likely.