Asa Hutchinson was born in Bentonville, Arkansas on December 3, 1950. He was raised a Southern Baptist and attended Bob Jones University for his BS degree. He then entered the University of Arkansas law school, where he completed his JD in 1975.

He practiced law in Arkansas for several years, becoming a U.S. attorney from 1982 to 1985 (and the youngest to hold the title, at 31). In 1990, he became chairman of the state Republican Party. Then, in 1997, he was elected to represent the mostly rural third district of Arkansas in the House of Representatives, where he became a member of the Judiciary, Transportation and Infrastructure, and Veterans' Affairs committees. He became a leading critic of Bill Clinton during Monicagate, voted against partial birth abortions, and debated John McCain and Russ Feingold relentlessly on how to tackle campaign finance reform.

Hutchinson served in the House until 2001, when George W. Bush named him head of the Drug Enforcement Administration. In January 2003, he was confirmed as Undersecretary for Border and Transportation Security in the new Department of Homeland Security, making him the boss of over 100,000 immigration, customs, border control, and airport security officials.

This conclusively proves that you have to take Bob Jones seriously.