代々木

Yoyogi, literally "The Tree of Ages" after a fir tree on the grounds of the Meiji Shrine, is an upscale district in Tokyo at the north end of Shibuya Ward. It is easily accessed on the Odakyu or Keio lines from Shinjuku, or by the Yamanote Line. Much of the area is within walking distance of Shinjuku Station.

Yoyogi was first developed in the 1920's as a "garden city" suburb of Tokyo, but gradually merged with the rest of the city over the next few decades. Between 1945 and 1964, much of the area was used by the United States Army as barracks, and dubbed "Washington Heights." The barracks were razed for the 1964 Olympics to make way for a new sports complex and Olympic Village in Yoyogi Park, which is now called "the Central Park of Tokyo" and borders on Harajuku.

Today, Yoyogi is fairly popular with affluent gaijin living in Tokyo, many of whom live there for proximity to the subway's Chiyoda Line, which goes straight to securities firms' headquarters in Akasaka and Otemachi. Rents range from ridiculously high to ludicrously high Azabu levels. Yoyogi has a history of attracting the wealthy: before the war, it was where many of Japan's aristocracy built their homes, and many of those homes are still intact today.

Yoyogi is also the home of the NTT DoCoMo headquarters, the second-tallest building in Tokyo at 240m (787 ft), and somewhat remniscient of the Empire State Building.