I don't mean this as commentary on the writeup at all. What I want to say is that if you choose to live your life by this maxim, then I can almost gaurantee that you will be miserable. Why? Because out of your fear of the unknown you will cling desperately to things that cause you pain!

Think about this. Why on earth would a person continue a pattern of behaviour that makes them miserable? You can feel and see this pain in the way they act, how they carry themselves, how they interact with others. They know they are miserable. Why? Why do they continue down this path?

"It's better the Devil you know," they reason.

I strongly disagree. If you learn nothing else in your life you must learn to embrace the devil you don't know!. This "devil" is more often than not the harbinger of great joy, personal power and happiness.

Fear of the unknown, rejection, being alone must be overcome.

Gain some perspective - visit a cemetary. Consider how much life you have left to live. When it's you lying there under six feet of earth do you really want to look back on a life without joy, happiness or freedom?

So in response to one cliche I offer another: "A life lived in fear is a life half lived".

You must not fear this "Devil".