By way of comment on the AI of Daikatana:

  • Do 'intelligent' people stand in a doorway in which the door is closing only to be crushed to death?

  • Do 'intelligent' people, when mortally wounded, leap boldy into the fray an unleash a volley of fire from a vastly underpowered weapon at an opponent with both infinite amunition and superior firepower? You actually have to order them to stay back? Come on...

  • Do 'intelligent' people find jumping onto anything higher than their kneecaps impossible, even if you have previously demonstrated the possibility of the feat less than 4 metres in front of them?

  • When unarmed, will 'intelligent' people simply stand still and absorb fire without flinching, untill killed?

Ye Gods, a two year old has more intelligence and instinct for self-preservation.

Daikatana left a very sour taste in my mouth. I own it, I played it. I tolerated the pathetic AI and often, I'll admit took perverse pleasure in slaughtering my sidekicks for their errant stupidity. I got to the point in the game where Ion Storm had fucked up, and the game couldn't be completed.

I watched the patch for the US version released. I am still waiting some six months later for the Australian patch.

Had I not been given the game as a gift, I would have returned it and demanded a refund. I will certainly not be purchasing any games from Ion Storm. Their disregard for the gaming community is baffling. One can only attribute it to the arrogance of John Romero.

As a sidenote, I sent Ion Storm support email once and suggested that perhaps if JR spent a bit less time raving about how fucking cool he was on his website (planetromero.com? How narcissistic can you get?) and how he's shagging Stevie Case, perhaps the Ion Storm's games might be of a better quality. It was oddly satisfying.