Ah, the scent of roses and chocolates is in the air again. Valentine's day once more gives us the chance to make up for not telling those we love just how much we care as often as we should.

Radio stations are running weddings, giving away diamond rings, even the telephone companies are getting in on the act, giving my fellow Aussies the chance to send up to 100 free SMS messages to people this morning.

Sure, today may be a nefarious plot to sell greeting cards and flowers, but who cares? I don't care who you are, somebody somewhere loves you. It may not be romantic love. Inded you may be single and believe that you don't need a partner to complete you. Spare a thought then for us poor romantic fools who love the chance to spoil our lovers for no better reason than that we can.

Is it such a bad thing to have a day devoted to telling those you love just how much you do? Do you see the shy smiles on the faces of the girls carrying bunches of flowers they were given today? The embarrased looks on the faces of the men carrying oversized teddy bears, roses and boxes of chocolates to give their lovers?

No, it's not such a bad thing at all. Seeing happy people is never a bad thing. Seeing happy people in love is the most wonderful thing in the world.

Happy Valentine's day, my sweet!