This is basically potatoes and cabbage, generally a stinky and boring kind of meal. But someone I know loves this kind of food. So I dressed it up a bit.

Baked Hasselbachs
Select potatoes of reasonably uniform size. Place a washed potato (skin on) between two chopsticks and slice from one end to the other, making cuts ¼ inch apart. The chopsticks will stop the knife from cutting all the way through the potato. Place the potaoes on a baking sheet oiled with a mixture of butter and extra virgin olive oil and coat them with the same mixture. Sprinkle with salt and crumbled rosemary. Bake until cooked through and golden-brown.

Crimson Tofu
Saute minced garlic and chopped red onion in extra virgin olive oil until the onion is translucent. Add enough water to make a sauce and add a large amount of hot Hungarian paprika to give the sauce a crimson hue. Season with onion powder, garlic powder, ground cumin, salt, pepper and towards the end of the cooking, add some lime juice and minced habanero or Scotch Bonnet chilies to taste (be brave, let the heat correspond to the colour). Cut cotton (firm) tofu into large triangles and place in a casserole dish. Pour the sauce over it and top with long slices of red onion. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

Cabbage au Daito
(It was Daito’s birthday and he loves cabbage). Slice a green or Savoy cabbage into large squares and simply boil in salted water until well cooked, but still firm. Drain, turn into a serving bowl and stir in lots of butter, salt and fresh pepper. A dusting of parmesan is nice as well.

Would you like to go to Vegetarian Meals That Aren't Just Brown Gack?