God, I miss E2.

Maybe it's bad form for a newbie to daylog -- and if it is, I guess I'll find out -- but my conscience won't let me node without research and I haven't been focused enough to do research for weeks. But I feel like I'm neglecting a friend, so I'm here, writing a letter...to a database.

Dear E2...

I put in an offer on a house this morning. A fixer-upper. I'd be a second-backup-offer (if that, even!), which isn't ideal, but I didn't understand enough about what I was doing to get an offer in sooner, and my partner and I only just got financing last night, and I hadn't yet figured out how safe I'd be making an offer with contingencies. I'm not, however, learning enough about USA real estate laws to node them. I feel like a chump waiting to get fleeced as I'm trying to play this game and learn how to play at the same time. I think that says something fairly accurate about me, and my unwillingness to look foolish -- and to some small extent, it says something about my itch to write.

...I miss you...

There's something about E2 that makes me want to delve deep into any subject that comes my way, but I don't have time to become an expert on the Seattle housing market, real estate, renovation, and craftsman houses all at once. This damn project has gotten me used to writing on a regular basis, and used to researching what I write...and now when I don't, I itch.

...Not least of all because when I'm with you...

I do know that the high ceilings and heavy, simple, angular moldings I love in my current house are pure Crafts. I know that for the most part, it's harder to find a real Victorian in Seattle than it is in San Francisco, and that I shouldn't be disappointed, because Victorians are harder to maintain than Craftsmen. And that if I *really* want bric-a-brac in Seattle, I should go for a Queen Anne house (though not necessarily in the Queen Anne Neighborhood, mind you).

...I actually feel like sometimes I know what I'm talking about...

But I'm far from an expert, and those things are, in my mind, far from concrete. If someone wants to have a conversation with me about architecture, I'm lost before it begins.

...even when maybe I don't.