Why I Love King's Quest

King's Quest was my introduction to the wonderful world of computer games, and in particular adventure games. My parents, who can't even set the clock on the vcr, got a used computer from the hospital where my mom worked. They bought it because they were told a computer was a good thing to have. It never served them any real purpose but had a life changing effect on me. Anyway, just like with all electronics we owned we had to be very careful unless we break them. It seemed that breaking the computer could be very easily accomplished by typing in the wrong things. Some guy gave us some software to try out on 5 1/2" floppies. One of the titles was King's Quest. On the disk he wrote out the magical words to type to get the program to run (off the disk). He didn't give us any instructions on what to do afterwards though. My parents figured out that you could move around by hitting the arrow keys and we had hours of enjoyment falling into the moat, getting eaten by the ogre, and meeting that fairy (for some reason the fairy said "Good fuck, King Graham"), and getting jailed by the witch. One day as I was enjoying walking around Daventry and I stopped in front of the castle doors. I noticed that if you hit the letter keys on the keyboard they showed up on screen in front of the arrow prompt. So, on a whim I typed "open door". And low and behold the glorious doors to the Castle opened!! It was at that moment I realized I had surpassed my parents technical knowledge forever. From then on I became more addicted to computer games, and more importantly actually figured out how the computer worked (by reading the dos manual, wheee). That, my friends, is why I love King's Quest.