I noticed that Dunkin Donuts is using TV commercials to promote their hot egg and meat or cheese sandwiches. They've been around for a while, but are microwave-oven-heated sandwiches such a big deal?

I decided to avoid Dunkin Donuts this morning by making bacon and eggs for breakfast. However, my boss called while I was cooking the bacon, and next thing I know, there is a lot of smoke.

I remove the pan from the heat, just as I was trained to do. But there was still all of this smoke. So I figure, "Hey, I'll open my front door and let my apartment air out some.". Unfortunately, there was a smoke detector out in the hallway, which didn't go off until I opened the door. But when it went off, it really went off. This is one of those industrial strength alarms.

So I call my landlord. I ask him, "Hey, can I turn this thing off?". He says that only the fire department can turn it off, and that he'll come over.

Next thing I know, there are 3 full-sized fire-engines outside our apartment complex, and they have already gotten a ladder up to the roof. I get the attention of one of the firemen and explain what happened. Three or four different firemen come and check out my apartment, listen to my story, and take down my name and number (eventually my landlord showed up and talked to them as well).

Needless to say, I didn't need my normal pick me up cup of coffee, as this got my heart going quite well, thank you. And yes, I did go ahead and cook up some more bacon and eggs.