A Note From "Safety BearTM"

It is against E2 convention to address other writeups in a node, as they may disappear. This writeup will disappear as soon as its contents are absorbed into other writeups within this nodeshell.

With all due respect to the caution about moving far away from a thermite ignition reaction, it is imperative that whilst watching your handiwork explode in a devastatingly beautiful symphony of yellows, white, and oranges - DO SO WHILE WEARING SAFETY GLASSES. Sure, you may be 50 yards away from your reaction but what's a little discomfort/nerdiness compared to the loss of one's eyesight.

The powders used in thermite may contain tiny bits that'll wreak havoc with your lungs. Wear little white disposable masks. Like Michael Jackson. No, I'm serious about this.

Although you may have dug a proper crater for your reaction, has it occurred to you to check for "call before you dig" signs in the area, notifying of underground wires/gas lines?

It goes without saying that prudence must be used when selecting a locale. Has it occurred to you that the spot you've chosen for your Satanic Fire From HellTM may contain flammable/poisonous substances in the ground (i.e., an old industrial lot). Or worse, a tank with the residue of kerosene/gasoline underground?

The writeup directly hereinabove recommends huffing* ammonia vapors to "see what it's like to stop breathing." Although I'd hazard a guess that this statement assumes the reader is familiar with ammonia/chlorine and their dangers, for those who fail to see the humor in that statement, I offer up the following symptoms/results of ammonia poisoning:

  • At the very least, a pounding headache which will be with you all day and through the night, during which you'll get not a wink of sleep. (Personal experience after an employee mixed chlorine and ammonia thinking it'd make his chore cleaning a greasy stove easier.)
     
  • Esophageal damage which may result in blood entering the lungs
     
  • Throat swelling to the point of choking
     
  • Drastic, immediate changes in blood pH which will damage organs
     
  • Your lungs may fill with liquid pulmonary edema (and I must tell you from experience, having 'em drained is no picnic, if you survive)
     
  • Permanent eye damage
     
  • All kinds of blood coming from everywhere on your person. And I mean everywhere.
     
  • And more!

Do be careful.

Rest assured that I'm willing to accept being called all sorts of names like "sissy" and "worry-wart" if I err on the side of being overly cautious. However, we want you to survive so that when you visit your first nodermeet we can tear the flesh from your bones and eat it raw, while we muffle your cries of exquisite agony.
 

*"Huffing": Inhaling concentrated vapors.