The invention of the chocolate chip cookie

Chocolate chip cookies (or biscuits for many people of the world), were invented by Ruth Graves Wakefield, born in the year 1905. In point of fact, Ruth Wakefield first invented chocolate chips, and went on, in probable divine inspiration, to add them to colonial Butter Drop Do cookie dough, to invent the archetypal chocolate chip cookie.

The year of invention was 1930. The place was the Toll House Inn in Whitman, Massachusetts, USA. The Toll House Inn was a popular place for weary travellers to stop for a night's rest, and a home-cooked meal, and had gained some considerable fame throughout New England.

Ruth Wakefield first called the baked goods Toll House Cookies, a name which has not survived her. Fatefully, she was successful in publishing a moderately successful recipe book, "Toll House Tried and True Recipes" in the year 1940. The Toll House Cookie was your basic cookie dough enhanced with broken-up pieces of semi-sweet dark chocolate.

The name of the Wakefield's inn, however, has survived. The giant Nestlé food multinational corporation purchased the rights to the place-of-invention of the world's most popular cookie, the Toll House Inn, to market a range of chocolate chip baking goods under the Toll House sub-brand.

Chocolate chip cookies should be accompanied by a glass of icy-cool milk, where-ever possible.

Ruth Wakefield passed away in 1977.

RESEARCH SOURCES INCLUDE: ENCHANTED LEARNING ONLINE, NESTLE CORPORATION