simonc is happy

warning: this writeup contains gushing and soggy sentiment, in addition to the nodist's typically wordy, adjective-ridden and self-centred reportage style. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!, God Bless, and please move along, nothing more to see here.

Christmas 2000 was the best ever. My beloved SO took herself off to sin city Sydney for four days, which left me blessedly alone at home, with nothing to distract me from myself. I spent the time in a most uncharacteristically productive fashion, with the last two years taxation paperwork taking most of my CPU cycles -- ordinarily I'd hate doing this menial mindless filing but hell it felt good. Go figure. Also did some maintenence to galaga (our home server) and rescued a forlorn beige G3 from the brink of abandonment. Spent quality time on E2, lurking as usual, feeling my regular feelings of inadequacy * and laziness, but hell that felt good too. Rode my bicycle every day, ate prociutto every lunchtime, and watched reruns of Chicago Hope every night. Pure bliss.

Gemma came home on Boxing Day afternoon, which was lovely. I took her to a nice lunch in the sculpture garden of the National Gallery of Australia the day after. Rather than returning to work, I called in a couple of vacation days and have hung out with her for this week.

Big medical news in my life on Thursday afternoon, which while significant, is not appropriate to daylog.

Got a gentle zen stick from break that perhaps I could get some more Nipponese noding in sometime in the future? Bless him, I took his counsel to heart and have made good progress against my fear of noding. Updated Asakusa, Ebisu and Ginza. I'm feeling a new confidence, plan to keep it up.

Was a bit jealous of the noders party in Brooklyn last night -- wished I could have been there. Although E2 has no place, it is somewhat geographically USA-centric (not that there's anything wrong with that); to that end, alex.tan and I hope to get together for a sherbert in the early new year in Sydney. I've never met another Everythinginan, and I'm quite sure that all my problems would be reduced to mere trifles with more IRL Everything 2 Action.

* My fear of noding (an acquired malady), is that I always feel like I could do better with my writeups. As I've learned the personal importance of synergies with erudition, node what you know, and earn your bullshit, I feel often like I'm ripping myself off (and therefore this amazing community) by not putting in enough proper research in my tawdry writeups. One being one's own worst critic and all. I'm not relaxing my standards, but I am very happy to get my toe back into the nodegel and nuking the real crap and updating and fixing the updatable and fixable. YMMV.

Back to Sydney on Tuesday morning for a couple of days. Hoping to deliver the paranoia-inducing intranet project and a strategy to extricate myself from the really really big evil software company project in my first week back. Then I'm gonna be free as a bird....