Immediately after Mussolini's death in 1945 by firing squad his body was taken from the execution site to a square in Milan where it was to be displayed. This was the time that angry mobs of former dissidents under the Fascist Regime of Mussolini took it upon themselves to express their anger upon the body of Mussolini itself.

The country was bankrupt, there were many refugees and homeless and all due to Mussolini's policies and domestic strong arm tactics. This was fuel to their rage. His and the body of his mistress were dragged from the firing squad through the streets where people spat, struck, kicked and threw rocks at the corpses. Many went so far as to kick and stomp the head and face specifically of Il Duce.

Finally, upon arrival in the square, strings from a piano (i.e. wires) were procured and used to hang the bodies by their feet. The violence perpetrated on the corpses was such that they were unrecognizable; a violent and graphic testament to the passion of the Italian people of the time. Furthurmore, this possibly served as a warning to would-be dictators waiting in the wings; the Italian people were through with Fascism or totalitarianism of any type. It seems to have been effective since Italy has remained democratic ever since.

Afterwards, three autopsies were performed. The body was stolen from its original grave by still sympathetic Fascists and not returned to the widow until eleven years later.