We can already see some evidence of new technology with the capability to address the problems created by previous technologies. The problem is that the implementation depends upon the benefits involved, as humans are inherently selfish and shortsighted.

Let's look at cars. Americans are in love with incredibly wasteful SUVs because they can get away with it. In Europe and Asia, cleaner, more efficient cars are the norm, because a large vehicle isn't cost-effective (if they could get away with it, they'd drive big cars, too.) However, once Americans decide to do so, there are technologies they can use to significantly reduce the amount of material used in an automobile's creation as well as its energy consumption.

Materials reduction in the manufacture of personal consumer goods, however, is a trend that thankfully, is supported by greed. The fewer materials used in the creation of a product and the more value a manufacturer can add in performance (or perception), the happier and more profitable they are. A new cell phone uses significantly less metal and plastic than a phone from a couple of years ago, and the entire worldwide materials demand for the next five years of OLED display manufacture can be filled by less than 100 gallons of chemicals. Compare a 40-inch LCD to a CRT, and even the most radical ecologist has to admit that there is a significant amount of material saved. The less material usd in manufacturing, the less damage to the environment by trash generation, manufacturing-related pollution, and mining and resources acquisition.

Ditto for device efficiency. That new cell phone is not only smaller, it uses less electricity, and gets that electricity from rechargeable batteries instead of disposables. Your desktop computer has an LCD monitor that uses less power than a CRT (and doesn't spray you with radiation), and its drives and processors are smaller and more efficient. Odds are that your computer's mouse is an optical device with no moving parts.

In medicine, for every antibiotic-resistant bug (which was caused by abuse of antibiotics) there is a life-extending technology, drug, or procedure. Things like minimum-invasion endoscopic surgery, stereotaxic radiosurgery, and better diagnostics are helping more people live long and productive lives.

Technology is a tool, nothing more, nothing less. There is no fundamental difference between a hand axe and a chain saw. The difference is how well it performs its task, and whether we wield it properly.