These tasty little savoury wafers are wickedly easy to make. They only have two ingredients, so you really can't go wrong. At the restaurant we serve these on top of a green pea and vermouth risotto, but they are equally at home on an antipasto platter, or broken up and tossed through a salad.

Preparing these tasty morsels is simply a matter of topping slices of prosciutto with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, then roasting until they are beautifully crisp. The cheese melts into the prosciutto and when cool, they end up deliciously crunchy.

Pack into an airtight container, and they will last for 4 days at room temperature. You could substitute pecorino or pepato cheese for the Parmesan and pancetta for the prosciutto.

You must use real parmesan for this recipe. The powder that comes in a can just doesn't work

Ingredients

  • 10 very thin slices of prosciutto
  • 100 g (3 oz) Parmesan cheese
  • Method

    Lay the prosciutto out onto a roasting tray, keep each slice well spaced. Grate the cheese and sprinkle liberally and evenly over each slice of prosciutto. Roast in a pre heated 200 °C (390 °F) oven for about 12 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and smells wonderful. The prosciutto should be nicely golden brown. Replace in the oven for a few minutes if they are not quite done.

    Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire cake rack. As soon as they have cooled they will harden and are ready to eat